According to the data of 1865, 16 villages were included in Churuk-Su. There were 17 mosques and ten Madrasa, while 3592 Georgian Muslims and 538 Muhajirs lived there. The population was producing maize and construction wood. According to Dimitri Bakradze in 1873, the local population had Turkish names, but they remembered Georgian origins and used Georgian surnames.
In 1878, after the Russian-Ottoman war, Russian Empire managed to conquer Churuk-Su, which was included in Batumi District as a Kintrishi District. In 1930 Kobuleti region was established.